A wide variety of psychiatric conditions requiring medication-based treatment are common today. Unfortunately, many of these medications carry a high risk for physical dependence and addiction. One of these prescription medications is Xanax. Often used to manage anxiety, Xanax can be misused and abused, leading to a substance use disorder, that is, an addiction. When this happens, individuals need the support of a Xanax detox center like the kind offered by Tides Edge Detox in Florida. Our Xanax detox can help anyone struggling with this kind of prescription drug addiction get the help they need to heal and recover.
Understanding What Xanax Is
To understand the common Xanax addiction signs, we need to know what this medication is. Xanax is a powerful benzodiazepine that has sedative effects on the body. Xanax is most often used to treat severe anxiety and related issues. However, benzodiazepines all carry a high risk of dependency that can lead to a full-blown addiction.
Side Effects of Xanax Abuse
There are many short and long-term Xanax side effects that can occur with the extended use of this drug. The list below covers a few common side effects associated with Xanax use:
- Confusion and Disorientation: The powerful effects that Xanax has on the brain can result in dizziness, mental confusion, and disorientation. In some cases, a person abusing Xanax may not be aware of their surroundings or remember specific events later.
- Slurred Speech: The sedative effects of Xanax can drastically slow reaction time. This can result in slow or slurred speech when a person tries to carry on a conversation with you.
- Extreme Lethargy: Of course, sedative drugs, such as Xanax tend to make a person incredibly sleepy. A person abusing Xanax may sleep for long periods of time. They may also remain very groggy when they’re awake.
Being aware of these side effects can help individuals recognize the early signs of Xanax abuse or addiction. It can also help the professionals in our Xanax detox programs understand at what stage of addiction a person coming to us is in.
What are Common Xanax Addiction Signs?
Since Xanax is a fairly common drug to be prescribed today, it’s vital to know the most common Xanax addiction signs. By being aware of the signs of an addiction, you can get help for a loved one fast at a Xanax detox center in Florida:
- Lack of Energy and Motivation: Someone who is addicted to Xanax will most likely not be able to perform their daily duties. They may not be able to hold down a job, cook, clean, or care for their young children.
- Desire to Be Away from Others: Those struggling with addiction often prefer to be alone. They may be embarrassed or ashamed of their condition. Likewise, drug effects may also make them feel depressed.
- Doctor Shopping: Those suffering from Xanax addiction may also engage in doctor shopping. This refers to the act of obtaining a professional relationship with several different doctors so that they don’t run out of medication.
- Severe Personality Shifts: Someone experiencing an addiction to Xanax may display odd behavior. Their general mood and disposition can change drastically. Someone who was previously outgoing and happy may now seem sullen or angry.
Keep in mind, addiction can affect people in different ways. However, detecting any of the above Xanax addiction signs can signify that it’s time to seek professional help.
Helping a Loved One Combat Xanax Addiction
You don’t need to allow addiction to determine your future success. You can overcome addiction with the help of a skilled rehab center. Contact Tides Edge Detox Center at 866.723.3127 to discover how we can get you on the road to recovery.